A deck is an important part of a house. It contributes to the increased aesthetic beauty of the house and can be used for several other purposes. But just like other parts of the house require proper care and attention, your deck also requires the same to tolerate harsh weather conditions, especially rain.
For the same purpose, waterproofing of the deck is done. Some people hire professionals to waterproof their decks. On the other hand, many people love to do the work themselves, enjoying every step involved in the process. For DIY enthusiasts, there is a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane.
If you also want to make your deck waterproof by yourself but are uncertain where to begin, don’t worry, as the detailed guide will assist in the journey of making your waterproof deck membrane.
Similar Post: 21 Best Ways to Create the Perfect Patio with Deck
Material Required for Waterproof Deck Membrane
Before we dive into the process of making a do-it-yourself waterproof membrane, it is essential to know the material you need for the same. You require good waterproofing material and protective equipment like masks, gloves, and goggles.
Furthermore, you also require a brush, a roller, or a sprayer to apply the material, sandpaper, primer, and an extra piece of cloth. If your deck has cracks or holes, you also require a sealant to fill the holes and cracks.
Steps Involved in Making a Do-It-Yourself Waterproof Deck Membrane
Though you can easily work with a do-it-yourself membrane without much effort, it is still important to know all the steps involved in installing the waterproofing material. To successfully install a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane, you should follow the below-mentioned steps carefully.
Step 1: Repair Any Previous Cracks or Holes
A do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane will be able to work efficiently only when there are no previous cracks or holes on the deck’s surface. So before you move on to the waterproofing step, ensure you have sealed all the holes and repaired the cracks properly using a sealant or waterproof epoxy glue.
Step 2: Sand the Surface and Then Clean the Deck Properly
Before you begin the waterproofing step, do not forget to sand the surface. After that, clean the deck properly to remove any dirt or debris. Removing the dirt is important, as this dirt and debris can interfere with the working mechanism of the waterproofing material.
If you avoid this step, there are chances that the waterproofing material won’t stick to the deck surface properly.
Step 3: Apply Primer to The Surface
Once you have completed the repair work and cleaned the deck properly, the next step while making a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane is to apply the primer to the entire deck surface. Select an appropriate primer and apply it to the deck using a paintbrush.
Step 4: Apply the Waterproofing Material
You are now all set to apply waterproof material to the deck. There are various materials available in the market. You can select the one you find most appropriate for your deck, depending on the climate and the material used.
You can use a roller or paintbrush to apply the waterproofing material to the deck.
Step 5: Leave the Surface Undisturbed for Some Time
Apply a second layer of waterproofing surface when the first court is dry. If you want the waterproofing material to set properly on the deck, make sure that you leave it undisturbed for the next 24 or 48 hours.
If you wish, you can add a third layer. After this, your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane is ready to be used.
Advantages of a Do-It-Yourself Waterproof Deck Membrane
Waterproofing the deck membrane not only saves the deck from water but has several other advantages, like:
- Reduces the maintenance costs: A do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane saves the deck from moisture; therefore, you need to spend less on frequent repair or replacement of the material and the maintenance of decks.
- Increases the deck’s life: Waterproofing leads to the increased durability of the deck. It also increases the life of the wood, as it is safe from things like warping, swelling, etc.
- Maintains the aesthetic beauty of the deck: As waterproofing the deck saves the material from swelling or breaking up, it helps to preserve the aesthetic beauty of the deck.
- Reduces the chances of accidents: During the rainy season, slippery surfaces can be a reason for many accidents, so if you waterproof the surface, you reduce the chances of these accidents.
- They are easy to clean: DIY waterproof deck membrane makes it easy for the surface to be cleaned easily. The surface becomes smooth after waterproofing, so it is easy to remove the excess water from the deck.
Various Types of Material for a Do-It-Yourself Waterproof Deck Membrane
For a smooth and long-lasting do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane, many options are available. Each of them has its own unique set of characteristics, which makes them unique.
You should go through all the features of the waterproofing material and then select the one you find most appropriate according to your budget and the climatic conditions, rainfall, etc. A few materials used for a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane are given below.
Vinyl And Liquid Rubber Deck Coating
- Vinyl decking membranes: They are the most popular material for a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane. It is a cost-effective and durable option for various types of decks. It also protects against rot, pests, and lots more. These membranes are durable and will serve you for a long period. These membranes are made with PVC, which is a great option to protect exterior surfaces. They also contain certain materials that protect against UV rays.
- Liquid rubber deck coating: Liquid rubber deck coating offers ease of application. It not only protects the surface from moisture but also from mold, pests, UV rays, and a lot more. Working with liquid rubber deck coating is smooth. Freshers can also work with it. It contributes to the increased aesthetic appearance of your deck and will ensure its longevity. These coatings can last up to many years without deteriorating.
Water-Based And Acrylic Coating
- Water-based waterproofing membrane: If you are looking for an easily drying material for your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane, then they are the most affordable option and have good adhesive properties. They can be easily applied using a roller, paintbrush, or sprayer. As they dry up fast, you can start using the deck immediately.
- Acrylic coatings: Acrylic coatings consist of an additional plasticizer, which adds flexibility to the do-it-yourself deck membrane. They have excellent bonding properties. They are highly durable and last for many years without losing their shine. As the working mechanism is unaffected by irregularities, you can use them for uneven surfaces.
Things to Consider While Selecting a Waterproofing Material
It is a crucial step to select the proper material for your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane. It helps to maintain the longevity of the structure and saves you from additional expenses.
For this, you need to consider a few factors given below.
- Budget: Budget is a very important factor when selecting an appropriate material. But you also need to pay attention to choosing a suitable material. If you choose a cheap material that is not durable, then it would be a waste of money, so select the material accordingly.
- Surrounding conditions: The surroundings also have their significance in selecting waterproof material. You should pay attention to the environmental conditions of the area while selecting the ideal waterproofing material. For example, to get the most effective results, choose the highest quality waterproofing material for your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane if you live in a region with a lot of rainfall.
- Ease of installation: To avoid any troubles during the installation phase, you should make sure that whatever material you select can be easily installed or applied to the surface of the deck. It will save you precious time.
Factors Related to the Material
- Compatibility with the material of the deck: For the waterproofing material to set well on the surface of your deck, the waterproofing material must be compatible with the deck’s material.
- The flexibility of the material: As you know, the deck is exposed to various environmental conditions; therefore, the material you are choosing must be flexible enough to survive all kinds of weather conditions. It should function well in all types of weather without breaking or tearing apart.
- Efficiency of the material: While selecting material for your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane, you should pay attention to the efficiency of the material. If the material is inefficient enough, it won’t guarantee the longevity of your waterproofing. This can cause economic losses and affect the deck’s stability.
A do-it-yourself waterproof deck requires lots of attention and focus when you are working on it. It is crucial to plan everything well and be aware of the problems that can arise while working.
There are a few precautions that you should follow. A few of them are given below.
- Select the time properly before beginning the work: Your responsibilities are not limited to selecting the proper material for your do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane. You need to choose a proper day or season to begin your work. While working, ensure that the day is sunny and there are no rain chances.
- Always wear protective equipment while working: Your safety is as important as waterproofing the deck, so make sure that you wear the required protective equipment, like gloves, masks, goggles, etc., to protect yourself from any accidents that can occur at the site.
- Follow the instructions carefully: If you want your do-it-yourself deck membrane to be successful in your first attempt, then carefully go through all the instructions mentioned in the product. Similarly, repeat the steps twice and three times until every step is clear to you.
Working for your house and making things for it is everyone’s dream. It shows your dedication and love for your house. Working on DIY projects boosts your creativity. Like any DIY project, working with a do-it-yourself waterproof deck membrane is a fun process you will love to do.
This is a great activity that you and your family can do on a holiday to utilize the time in the best possible way. So why stop now? Select an appropriate material according to your house and the surrounding conditions and start working.
While working, safety is also very important; follow all the necessary precautions and instructions carefully for a hassle-free experience.
Once you are done, let it dry and use the deck to host parties, enjoy the mesmerizing views, and flaunt your precious work amongst your friends and acquaintances.
Check This Next: 21 Inexpensive Deck Railing Ideas that Will Inspire You in 2023