Contact Information

Planning a trip to Mexico as a green card holder?

You’re excited about exploring this vibrant country, but the uncertainty surrounding travel requirements makes you anxious.

What if you arrive at the border only to be turned away due to missing documents?

The good news is that traveling to Mexico with a green card is possible, and the process is surprisingly straightforward.

In this blog post, we’ll explain the essential requirements, ensuring that your journey is smooth and hassle-free.

From the necessary paperwork to the tourist card application, we’ve got you covered.

Get ready to pack your bags and embark on an unforgettable adventure in Mexico!

Required Travel Documents to Mexico 

Required Travel Documents to Mexico

Traveling from the U.S. to Mexico as a green card holder requires careful planning and preparation, particularly ensuring the proper documentation.

The right documents are crucial for a smooth entry into Mexico and a hassle-free return to the U.S.

Let’s look at the essential travel documents you’ll need.

1. Passport Requirements

A valid passport from your country of origin is mandatory for all international travel, including trips to Mexico.

Your passport, when paired with your green card, serves as your primary form of identification. It will allow you to enter Mexico and re-enter the United States.

If you need to apply for or renew your passport, it’s essential to start the process before your planned travel date.

Contact your country’s nearest embassy or consulate in the U.S. for specific requirements and processing times.

In some cases, you may be able to speed up your passport application for an additional fee.

2. Permanent Resident Card

As a green card holder, you must carry your unexpired U.S. Permanent Resident Card to prove your lawful status in the United States.

Before traveling, check the expiration date on your card and renew it if necessary.

Remember, your green card and valid passport will be required when returning to the U.S. from Mexico.

3. Re-Entry Permit for Extended Stays

If you plan to remain in Mexico for over a year but less than two years, you should apply for a re-entry permit before leaving the United States.

This permit demonstrates that you are not abandoning your U.S. permanent residence status.

To obtain a re-entry permit, file Form I-131 (Application for Travel Document) with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

You’ll need to provide supporting documents and pay the required filing fee. Processing times can vary, so apply well before your trip.

Having a re-entry permit will allow you to re-enter the U.S. after a stay of up to two years in Mexico without needing to apply for a returning resident visa.

Mexico’s Visa Policy for Green Card Holders

Mexico's Visa Policy for Green Card Holders

Mexico’s visa policy treats U.S. permanent residents (green card holders) differently from foreign visitors.

It’s essential to understand the distinction between visa-exempt tourist visits and work-related travel to ensure a smooth and legal trip.

1. Visa Exemption for Tourists

U.S. green card holders are visa-exempt when visiting Mexico for tourism purposes.

However, they must carry a valid passport from their country of origin and their U.S. Permanent Resident Card.

Although a visa isn’t required, tourists must obtain a Mexico Tourist Card (Forma Migratoria Múltiple or FMM). This card allows stays of up to 180 days and is necessary for all foreign visitors, including green card holders.

The FMM is easily obtainable online or at the port of entry.

Under the visa-free policy, green card holders can engage in tourist activities, visit family, or participate in other non-remunerative activities.

However, it’s crucial to note that this exemption does not apply to work-related travel.

2. Work Visa Requirements

If you plan to work, conduct business, or participate in an internship while in Mexico, you must obtain a work visa.

Engaging in these activities without the proper visa can result in significant penalties.

To apply for a work visa, you’ll need sponsorship from a Mexican company or entity.

The application process involves submitting various documents, such as a job offer letter, application forms, and supporting materials.

See also  Pros and Cons of Hold Luggage vs. Carry-On for Air Travelers

It’s important to start this process well in advance, as processing times can vary.

Remember, while green card holders enjoy visa-free travel for tourism, working in Mexico without the appropriate visa is illegal.

By understanding Mexico’s visa policy and preparing accordingly, you can ensure a successful and compliant visit.

Mexico Tourist Card (FMM)

Mexico Tourist Card (FMM)

All foreign travelers, including those who are visa-exempt, must obtain a Mexico Tourist Card. It is also known as the Forma Migratoria Múltiple (FMM).

This document is crucial for lawful entry and must be carried throughout your stay in Mexico.

1. Validity

The FMM is an entry permit that allows foreigners to visit Mexico for tourism or other non-work-related purposes.

It is typically valid for up to 180 days. The exact validity period is determined by Mexican immigration officers based on your travel plans.

2. Application Process

To apply for an FMM, you’ll need a valid passport with at least six months of validity remaining and, in some cases, your flight or travel itinerary.

You can obtain the FMM through Mexico’s official immigration website by completing an online form.

Alternatively, you can get the FMM upon arrival at land borders or Mexican airports by completing a paper form.

3. Associated Fees

There is a fee associated with obtaining an FMM, usually around $25. Some airlines include this fee in the ticket price.

Children under two and travelers staying less than seven days by air are generally exempt from the fee.

4. Returning the Tourist Card

It’s essential to return the FMM upon departure to avoid complications on future trips to Mexico.

If exiting by road, you can return the card at the airport when leaving or at the land border crossing point.

In summary, the FMM is a mandatory document for all foreign visitors, including green card holders.

It is vital for lawful entry into Mexico. Handle the card carefully and ensure its return upon leaving the country to prevent unnecessary delays in future travel.

Travel Considerations 

Travel Considerations

When traveling to Mexico as a green card holder, there are several practical considerations to remember to ensure a safe and smooth trip.

Taking the time to address these aspects will help you navigate potential challenges and be prepared for any emergencies.

1. U.S. Embassy Registration

Registering with the U.S. Embassy is a crucial step. It allows them to assist U.S. citizens in emergencies, such as natural disasters or political instability.

To register, enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) by providing your travel itinerary, contact details, and other required information.

Registration is free and offers benefits like receiving safety alerts, travel advisory updates, and emergency communication assistance.

2. Customs and Border Requirements

When entering Mexico, be aware of the customs rules, including allowable duty-free items, prohibited goods, and currency declaration requirements.

Accurate declarations are essential to avoid penalties and seizure of items.

Upon leaving Mexico, remember to return your Mexico Tourist Card (FMM) and properly handle any unspent Mexican pesos or duty-free goods.

As a green card holder, you must present your valid passport and Permanent Resident Card when re-entering the United States.

Be mindful of any items that should be declared to U.S. Customs to prevent violations.

Allowed and Prohibited Items for Import

Here’s a table summarizing items allowed and prohibited for import into Mexico and from Mexico to the U.S.

This will help travelers understand what they can and cannot bring across the borders:

Category Allowed Items (Mexico) Prohibited Items (Mexico) Allowed Items (U.S.) Prohibited Items (U.S.)
Food – Processed food in original packaging – Fresh fruit and vegetables – Up to 50 lbs of coffee, tea, or spices – Meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and products
  – Packaged snacks and canned goods – Raw or unpasteurized dairy products – Baked goods, candy, and chocolate – Fruit, seeds, soil
  – Dry or canned meat/fish (with permits) – Seeds, soil, or plants – Certain alcoholic beverages (limits apply) – Some plant-based food products
Tobacco – Up to 20 packs of cigarettes – Tobacco products in excess – Up to 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars – Cuban cigars
  – 25 cigars or 200 grams of tobacco – Untaxed tobacco products – 2 kg of smoking tobacco – Tobacco without health warnings
Alcohol – Up to 3 liters of alcohol – Untaxed alcoholic beverages – 1 liter of alcohol (duty-free limit) – Excess alcohol without duty
  – Beer, wine, or spirits – Alcohol exceeding the 3-liter limit – Wine or beer (duty applies over limits) – Homemade alcoholic beverages
Pharmaceuticals – Prescription medicine with a script – Narcotics or controlled substances – Prescription medicine with a script – Controlled substances without permits
  – Personal-use medical devices – Recreational drugs – Vitamins and supplements (Personal use) – Unapproved medications
Currency – Less than $10,000 USD – More than $10,000 USD (undeclared) – Less than $10,000 USD (or equivalent) – More than $10,000 USD (undeclared)
Miscellaneous – Personal effects (clothing, electronics) – Firearms or explosives – Personal effects (clothing, electronics) – Firearms or explosives
  – Jewelry for personal use – Counterfeit products – Gifts under $100 – Counterfeit products
  • Permits and Documentation: Some items, such as certain medications and processed meat/fish, may require permits or specific documentation. Check relevant consulate guidelines.
  • Personal Use: Allowed quantities are often limited to personal-use amounts. Commercial quantities are not permitted without additional documentation.
See also  Lighter Travel Essentials: Packing and Declaring Tips

3. Travel Itinerary

Having a comprehensive travel itinerary is essential for a seamless trip and provides a roadmap for managing unexpected situations.

Your itinerary should include:

  • Flight and transportation details (e.g., flight numbers, reservation codes, bus/train schedules)
  • Hotel or accommodation addresses and contact numbers
  • Contact information for important locations such as the U.S. Embassy, tour operators, or emergency services

Share your itinerary with trusted friends or family members who can assist in emergencies or if contact is lost.

Carry both printed and digital copies of your itinerary for easy reference.

By addressing these practical considerations, you’ll be well-prepared to navigate your travel to Mexico effectively and handle any challenges that may come your way.


Traveling to Mexico as a green card holder is a straightforward process when you’re well-informed and prepared.

By understanding the essential travel documents, such as your passport, green card, and Mexico Tourist Card (FMM), you can ensure a smooth journey.

Remember to register with the U.S. Embassy, familiarize yourself with customs requirements, and create a detailed itinerary to navigate any challenges.

With these practical considerations in mind, you’re ready to embark on an exciting adventure in Mexico.

Don’t let the fear of the unknown hold you back—embrace the opportunity to explore a new culture, indulge in delicious cuisine, and create unforgettable memories.

Start planning your trip today and discover the beauty and warmth that Mexico has to offer!

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I Travel to Mexico with Just a Green Card?

No, you cannot travel to Mexico with just a green card. You must present a valid passport from your country of origin along with your green card.

What are the Travel Restrictions for Green Card Holders?

Green card holders can travel to Mexico for tourism without obtaining a visa. However, they must carry a valid passport and their unexpired green card.

Can I Come Back to The US from Mexico with A Green Card?

Yes, you can re-enter the United States from Mexico with your valid green card and passport. Upon return, present both documents to U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Can a US Permanent Resident Travel to Mexico without A Passport?

No, a U.S. permanent resident cannot travel to Mexico without a passport. They must present a valid passport from their country of origin along with their green card.


Julia Hazard


With a Mater's degree in International Relations from the London School of Economics, Julia Hazard brings a wealth of knowledge on the diversified culture from over the world to her travel writing since 2021. Before turning to journalism, Julia worked in diplomatic circles and international NGOs, experiences that enrich her travel narratives with depth and empathy. Her work inspires readers to engage deeply with the places they visit, understanding their historical and contemporary contexts. Julia is also a passionate hiker, believing that the best way to understand a country is on foot, traversing its landscapes and meeting its people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *